Noted editor and publisher of purebred cattle magazines and respected breed promoter
1917-2016 | Artist: Thomas W. (“Tom”) Orlando (born 1931)
Impact & Accomplishments
The owner/publisher of International Limousin Journal and Limousin World, Dale Runnion was raised on a farm near Van Wert, Ohio, and received his degree in animal husbandry from Ohio State University.
After service in World War II, Runnion was a cattle buyer and stockyards manager, and then he entered livestock publishing. He worked in the field and in the offices of Drovers Journal and Aberdeen Angus Journal before launching his own publication in 1971, where he kept breed news current by establishing in-house typesetting operations.
Dale Runnion was executive vice president of the North American Limousin Foundation, and the French government appointed him Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole for his work advancing the breed. He was also honored by the Ohio State Animal Science Hall of Fame (1966) and was awarded the Livestock Publications Council’s Headliner Award (1987).
Did You Know?
While growing up, Runnion was active in 4-H, showing steers at the county fair and judging livestock. In 1934 he and two Van Wert friends won the state judging competition and represented Ohio at the 4-H Congress at the International Livestock Exposition in Chicago.