O'dell G. Daniel | 2001
Updated: Mar 25
Dr. Dan, as he was affectionately known to thousands of 4-H Club members and others throughout the cattle industry, was an innovator and organizer.
Born 1920 - 2017 | Artist: Istvan Nyikos (born 1942)
Impact & Accomplishments
Dr. “Dan” Daniel was born and raised in Paris, Arkansas, completed the Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Maryland, and earned his Ph.D. from Oklahoma State University.
He began teaching at Panhandle Agricultural and Mechanical College, and then accepted the position to lead the University of Georgia’s Extension Animal Science Department in 1958. There, he revitalized the 4-H livestock program, formed the Beef Cattle Improvement Association, built a new bull test station, and helped launch televised cattle auctions in Georgia.
When he retired as head of the Animal Science Department in 1981, Dr. Daniel had helped build a department of more than forty scientists. He served as a steer judge in twenty-seven states and was superintendent of the Southeastern Livestock Judging Contest for eighteen years. He was named to the Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame in 1998.
Did You Know?
Dr. Daniel's painting is the only egg tempera work in the Saddle & Sirloin Club collection. Canadian artist, Istvan Nyikos, applied transparent layers of pigment suspended in an egg yolk binding medium, to create this likeness of Dr. Daniel.