A pioneer who helped build the foundation of modern animal science through contributions in animal nutrition and endocrinology, particularly in the fields of vitamin A and gonadotropic hormones.
1883-1959 | Artist: Othmar J. Hoffler (1893-1954)
Impact & Accomplishments
Born in Philadelphia, George Hart was awarded the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1903 and the Doctor of Medicine degree from George Washington University in 1908.
His career was comprised of four major work periods: bacteriologist at the USDA Bureau of Animal Husbandry (1903-1907); field investigator of cattle diseases along the Mexican border (1908-1910); city veterinarian for Los Angeles (1910-1917); and faculty member at the University of California, first at Berkeley, then at Davis (1917-1954). Dr. Hart organized the UC Department of Animal Husbandry and headed it for twenty-two years, making important contributions in animal nutrition and endocrinology. He revolutionized the division by adding nutritional biochemists, geneticists, and physiologists to the livestock production team. In 1948, he returned to his original field, becoming dean of the new School of Veterinary Medicine at Davis.
Dr. Hart was president of the American Society of Animal Production in 1940. For work in controlling diseases of dairy cattle, he earned the Borden Award in 1953. Hart was a Fulbright Professor in 1955 and a delegate to numerous scientific and veterinary conferences. In 1957, the University of California conferred upon him the L.L.D. degree.
Did You Know?
In 1986 the old Animal Science Building on the UC Davis campus was named George Hart Hall in his honor.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Hart Hall (built in 1927) is one of the few buildings remaining from the early days of the campus. Although it housed the animal science department for 60 years, the building was restored in 1992 and now is the home to UC Davis cultural studies departments as well as human and community development (animal science moved to Meyer Hall in 1987). The building was named after George Hart, first dean of our School of Veterinary Medicine. Photo courtesy UC Davis archives.